Monday, May 21, 2012

Mission Statement

Hello and welcome to the Geek Girl in Training blog. I've sort of done this at the behest of my mother, but let me tell you some things about myself and then we can have some context.

Who the hell are you exactly?

Well, I'm Kristiana. I could tell you my last name, but then there's security, but frankly there's not that many people with my first name, so you can probably find me anyway as I'm probably the only one in San Antonio, I am sure. Why do you want to find me anyway? What did I do to you? Is that you, Mark Cuban?


Is this a fitness blog?

Not as such. Let me explain my fitness experience: not much. A couple of years ago, I started going to the gym around the time my mom did. My mom has seriously lost over a hundred pounds and can take the protein shakes and cleanse and whatever. I cannot. She started going to boot camp with an awesome trainer TT (which is a pseudonym because I think she might need to have a secret identity because of the job she has when she's not training me. She's that legit.) The next year, I went with her. TT kicked my ass, which is the idea. I kept going because I've never been able to stop things that I find painful (please see IB certificate, BA in History and MFA in Screenwriting for proof). At TT's behest and Mom's insistence, last year, my mom and I did the Rock N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon Relay. By the way, relay is misleading, it's divided into 8 and 5.1 mile segments. I got the 8.1 and did it in a little under two hours with my patented run/schlep method. I thought I was through. Then I went to the Austin Marathon Expo because the most fun part of a race is the expo and saw information about the Austin 10/20 and thought it would be fun to run 10 miles with live music. Then I sucked at it mostly because my foot fell asleep for three miles. That starts cutting into your time. So, I've found a slew of other races that look like fun and I think I'm going to run some. I don't know when I started thinking that would be cool. it just sort of happened.


What's your dream race? Is it Boston?

Boston?! Are you kidding me?! Do you know how fast you have to be?! I watched that race on TV and the KENYANS were sweating up that last hill. It's called Heartbreak Hill! It gets its name from the race! This year, I'm looking to do the See Jane Run Half Marathon in Austin, the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in San Antonio and I would really like to do the Disney Princess Half. Lots of races sound cool and I'll try to tell you about the ones I've found some time, but I think Detroit, Toronto and some day far in the future if I can ever compel myself to do a full, London.

 Why is this called Geek Girl in Training?

Excellent question! I'm a geek. I love geeky things: Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 and Doctor Who. I've invented a workout called Audience Participation Doctor Who. Basically, you plug your iPod into the Nike Plus machine and put on an episode of Doctor Who, you run through the opening titles and when they run on the show.

 What's Doctor Who? Is it a medical show?

 Seriously, just stop.

Do you have any healthy eating tips?

Uh... no.

Do you know where to buy lots of running stuff?

Yes. I actually do know that and will try to share with you on occasion.

Who do you admire?

 Tina Fey, Nia Vardalos, Mindy Kaling, Catherine Tate...

 Who are your arch enemies?

In no particular order: Mark Cuban, Shalane Flanagan, Rose Tyler, Dirk Nowitzki, this girl who started being a bitch after she visited me one time...

 I just saw your picture, how old are you?

Okay, you can shut up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment